Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Granting

What is a Canada Revenue Agency registered charity and qualified donee?

Federally registered charities and qualified donees include all organizations that can issue official tax receipts according to the Canada Revenue Agency standards and the Income Tax Act. These include all registered charities, registered amateur athletic organizations, registered national arts service organizations, housing corporations constituted exclusively to provide low-cost housing for the aged, school boards, and local governments. Each of these organizations will have been provided with a nine-digit number by the CRA. Find details on the CRA website.

If my organization does community projects but does not have charitable tax status through CRA, do we qualify for grants?

Only if your organization has a partnership with a registered charity. If that’s the case, then that organization would qualify for a QIF grant and may apply for a grant to carry out the project in partnership with your organization. With the application, include a copy of an agreement that clarifies the roles and responsibilities of the grant applicant (the registered charity, or qualified donee) and the roles and responsibilities of the intermediary organization (your organization).
Find information about applying to become a registered charity here.

What are the responsibilities of a charity that enters into an agreement with an organization that isn't a registered charity?

Will the foundation consider a project managed by an off-island organization?

QIF will consider funding a project by an off-island organization if it improves the quality of life on Quadra Island and meets our other criteria.

What kind of public recognition is appropriate for QIF’s support?

Recognition of QIF financial support through the foundation’s generous donors can be acknowledged in many ways: at events or ceremonies related to the project, in news coverage, on plaques or signs, and in social media and published materials, such as brochures, posters, etc. Please contact us to coordinate suitable recognition.